Shared hosting plan is one of the most popular hosting plans today because of its cheap pricing which is affordable by the average web-users. Shared hosting comes with many of the basic and important features which are essential for web users. Shared web hosting had increasingly become the favourite web hosting for most of the web-users today.
Now let us review some of the key weaknesses of shared web hosting;
1. The monthly fee under a shared hosting plan is much lower as compared to a dedicated hosting plan because users need to share the same server with many other users. Thus, with a shared hosting, no one will be able to have his or her full privacy because any possible negligence of data storage may lead to potential customer personnel data leakage.
2. The amount of disk space allocated on the shared web server for each client had been predefined and quite limited. If you need to share or install huge files for your website used, you may easily run out of bandwidth and disk space which makes it difficult to support your online business.
3. If there are any surge in the online traffic to any of the website on the same server, the rest of the users on the same server will be impacted because that specific website will need to hog on to additional bandwidth from the server to facilitate the increase online traffic. When this happened, the performance of other websites will be affected by this. These users will experience interruptions intermittently with slow web page processing or down-time of their websites. Although most of the web host will refund a proportionate of the monthly fees to their clients as compensation for the unexpected server down-time. However, nothing could replace the loss in customers’ satisfaction and their trust to the web hosting they have signed up with. Over the long run, increasing customers will end their contract with the web host provider by moving themselves out from this website and start looking for a more stable web host to sign up with.
4. The allocated share of CPU might not be sufficient for your website used in the near future if you are using this website for your online business because you need a larger CPU cycles if the amount of your online traffic surges with the expanding business.
5. Most of these shared hosting limit the maximum number of emails that any single account owner can send out every hour. This will be a constraint for users who need to trigger emails automatically to their business associates or vendors frequently. A good example would be a vendor who need to inform their customers or subsidiaries on their hourly output on a key component which is urgently needed by their customers.
6. With a shared server, no user is allowed to access the shared server to install or run any applications or software that you might need for your website used. You will only be allowed to use the software and applications offered by your web host provider.